A Purrrfect Paradise

    Walking through Main Street in Bloomsburg, many places could catch your eye, but none are as captivating as the paradise on the corner, Cats in Bloom. This organization rescues and shelters both cats and kittens, giving them a home for people to both visit and adopt. In order to do this, you'd imagine the cost to visit would be astronomical, but it only costs 5$ to be there for an hour. It was surprising to first hear that price, as I thought the price would be double that, if not more. When I knew the price, I knew I had to see for myself. The service, staff, and environment, were far worth the small price to pay.
(Figure 1)
The Downstairs Kitten room, with kittens to boot
    Walking through the front door, you enter a small buffer room, designed to keep the cats in and let the guests in and out. A few packages line the room, along with a table, sporting two bowls with little items for sale. Shutting the first door, and into the second, the main room causes a near sensory overload. Walls scattered with platforms, cat trees, chairs in the showcase windows with cats watching the people go by. This place, a dream to a cat owner, a playground for their furry friends. When the staff noticed me, an older woman came up and welcomed me, asking if I'd come here before. Even though I hadn't, she was more than happy to walk me through the process. The organization requires that you fill out a waiver, as cats can be "Unpurrdictable". Online they had waivers you could fill out before ever visiting, which saved me some time getting in. As the lady, named Deb, had talked to me, a friendly face jumped up on a stool next to her, giving a kind meow. I think the cat had explained the rules to me, though I can't be quite sure without a translator next to me.
    Deb helped to explain the rules, and showed me to the kitten room downstairs. Every room has hand sanitizer at the entrance, and you're meant to use it going in and out of the rooms. Going downstairs I passed by their supply of shirts and sweatshirts available for sale. The moment I walked in, I was overjoyed at the large amount of kittens, maybe 8-12 different friends to make. A smile crossed my face as I surveyed the room, and with a small welcoming "Mewl!" from a black and white kitten, my smile stretched further than I thought possible. The space was adorned with cat trees, scratching posts, plenty of chairs and cat beds for all the kittens to take wonderful catnaps, along with many fall decorations, such as rugs in front of chairs and fall paintings with cats in them. (see Figure 1)
    Sitting down, kittens started waking up and making their way to me, curious about the new scent entering their space. All were very friendly and happy to share the space with a new friend. A few had collars on, which I found meant they were being adopted! Even at such a young age, these kittens touched the hearts of families that visited. Carefully sitting down, trying not to wake all the tenants, a small orange and white kitten hopped up and showed me so much love. If I had a weaker will and stronger income, that baby would have come back with me, but they don't allow pets where I'm staying. I decided to ask the welcoming party some questions.


(Figure 2) The not so talkative welcome party
"So, how long have you been working here?" I asked to the group, only to be given scattered responses of meows and mewls. (Figure 2)
    The pictures I was able to get had to be cut short, as new guests visited, and to avoid disturbing their experience, I put my phone away.
    Coming back upstairs, my hour was almost up, if not already. Deb however, was ready for me to wait and see the second kitten room. I had to decline, as I was running short on time and informed her and the other staff that I was interested in asking them some questions

"Well why didn't you say so?" Deb responded cheerfully.

    It just so happened that one of the board members was on her way to the place, and could give me a little more background. The sad part being I caught them just around dinner, and I wouldn't want them to have less time. I asked the questions to all 4, but mainly got responses from a young employee, Hailee. Along with her was a senior here at Bloomsburg University, Kayla. Deb didn't have much to add, but was lovely the entire visit, and Sue, a board member, there from the start in 2019.

"What inspires you to work here?" I asked, to get an idea of why the employees stay.

"The cats. I have my own, but it is nice to see more" Hailee remarked, "see them getting homes"

"As a college student with cats at home, it's nice to have animals around me here." stated Kayla

Continuing on, I inquired, "What do you know about this organization?" To which Hailee responded

"Cats go into foster, or directly to the café with vaccines and everything." She specified, "Older cats are in the main room. We try to get as many adopted as possible. We take care of all their vetting and anything as long as they are here" Kayla had no response, saying that "She pretty much covered what I know."
    Finally I asked them how long they had been working here, to which both Hailee and Kayla responded with 2021, about 2 years ago from interviewing them. Hailee elaborated, "I started volunteering outside the café in 2021, did a dime toss at the carnival, raising money to donate, then starting to help in the mornings."
    At this point, I finished the questions, thanked them for their time, and started to gather my things. If I hadn't paid attention, I would have left with a stowaway, a cat that tried to hitch a ride in my backpack. While getting ready to leave, Sue checked the records and told me "We have adopted out 1,070 cats during the near 4 years in business." That number was insane to me, but also a little sad. To think that even with the large number of cats in their care, such a large number had been adopted. But the small price makes sense to visit, as all the workers here are volunteers! Cats in Bloom is a nonprofit organization, solely here for people to meet and adopt new friends (Figure 3). If I could, I would have adopted this gem, but it just wasn't in the cards.
(Figure 3)

    On my way to leave, I asked about the shirts and hoodies they sold. Deb was more than eager to help me, and when I asked if they had my size, she kindly suggested that I wait for a little while, till they get more options for me to try. She never forced me into a purchase, and even for the half hour extra that I was there, they never charged me more than 5$. Cats in Bloom is a wonderful place, and one could even call it, A Purrrfect Paradise.
    To learn more information, or plan your own visit, check out their website here at https://www.catsinbloom.org/

Comments